Introduction to the Best Rectractable Washing Lines
Our guide to the best retractable washing line will help you find the ideal product for your needs.
We will explain what a retractable washing line is, the types available and discuss some of the best products on the market among other topics.
For each product, we will lay out their pros and cons and their average costs.
This article will be helpful if you're looking for the top retractable washing lines out there.
- Introduction to the Best Rectractable Washing Lines
- What is a Retractable Washing Line?
- How does a Retractable Washing Line Work?
- Types of Retractable Washing Line
Best Retractable Washing Line
- Dryzem Dual Retractable Washing Line
- Vileda 15m Cordomatic Retractable Washing Line
- Minky Retractable Reel Washing Line
- Brabantia Indoor Retractable Washing Line
- Vileda Rewind 4 Retractable Washing Line Airer
- Brabantia WallFix Retractable Washing Line with Fabric Cover
- Hills Extenda 6 Heavy Duty Retractable Washing Line
- Cost to Install Retractable Washing Line
- Benefits of a Retractable Washing Line
What is a Retractable Washing Line?
For this section, we will explain what a retractable washing line is, why they are so popular and when they were invented.
Retractable washing lines come with extendable lines that can be used to dry clothes or other items either outdoors or indoors.
Retractable washing lines are popular since they are easy to move as they can be wound up, they save on money since they allow for natural drying and they also come with great strength reserves.
Retractable washing lines were invented in the 20th century.
How does a Retractable Washing Line Work?
We will now discuss the workings of a retractable washing line.
It is a form of clothing line that comes in a compact casing.
The line can be extended out of the casing to hang laundry. The line can then be retracted afterwards.
In terms of usage, you need to find the perfect spot first. If you're located in an area prone to stormy weather, you should set it up indoors.
If setting up outdoors, find a space with maximum access to sunlight that has little to no shade.
Once you've chosen the best location, extend the line, hang the laundry and give it time to dry.
In terms of attaching the casing to a surface or object, each product will have its own specific instructions.
In many cases, you'll need to screw a hole into the surface so that the casing can be screwed into place and then the extendable line will need to be hooked into place on the other side.
The casing could be attached to a wall, pole or fence among other locations in the garden.
You'll need a suitable surface or object to hook the line to on the opposite end to where the casing is fixed.
Types of Retractable Washing Line
There are various types of retractable washing lines which we will explore in the following subsections.
We will explore single, double, quadruple, quintuple, indoor and outdoor retractable washing lines, explaining what each type is and laying out their pros and cons.
Single Retractable Washing Line
As the name suggests, this type comes with just one extendable line.
- Tend to be cheaper.
- With just one line, the carrying capacity is less than with a double or quadruple line, for example.
- May not last as long since with say two or four lines, if one were to break, you would still have one or more lines remaining.
Double Retractable Washing Line
There are two lines with this type of retractable washing line.
- With two lines, it has a greater carrying capacity than a single line.
- Can last longer than a single line as if one line breaks, there is a second line to use.
- Will probably cost more than a single line.
Quadruple Retractable Washing Line
The number of lines increases to four with this type of retractable washing line.
- Has a good carrying capacity and allows you to spread out your laundry among four separate lines.
- Can last longer than either a single or double line products. If any of the lines break, you still have three more to use.
- Tend to be built quite durable.
- Generally, more expensive than single or double retractable washing lines.
Quintuple Retractable Washing Line
Some retractable washing line products come with five lines, which fit into this category.
- Greater carrying capacity than any of the aforementioned types.
- If one or more of the lines break, you still have several left to work with.
- Tend to be more costly than single or double retractable washing lines.
Indoor Retractable Washing Line
This type is designed for use inside.
- Avoids the risk of your laundry getting caught in the rain.
- Gives you increased privacy.
- Your clothes may not dry as fast if lacking direct access to the sunlight and a light breeze, where possible.
Outdoor Retractable Washing Line
Retractable washing line for outdoors lets you take advantage of sunlight and any breeze.
- Gives your laundry direct access to sunshine and a light breeze, where applicable.
- Offers less privacy.
- Your neighbours may find it aesthetically problematic.
- Your clothes could get caught in the rain amid sudden downpours.
Best Retractable Washing Line
Dryzem Dual Retractable Washing Line
This product is a double retractable washing line. It can be used for either indoor or outdoor use.
Both lines can extend to a length of up to 15 metres, and either line can be extended separately, which reduces the risk of sagging.
Its automatic retraction mechanism allows the lines to return to their casing without the need to be manually wound back.
Each line's tip comes with a flush-fitting clasp to protect the box from dirt and dust.
Dryzem's product also comes with screws and plugs for the installation process. It costs about £19.
- Both lines can be used individually or together.
- Comes with an automatic retraction mechanism.
- The casing and lines are made of weather-resistant materials.
- Currently, out of stock on many websites such as Amazon.
- More expensive than buying an average-priced single retractable washing line.
Vileda 15m Cordomatic Retractable Washing Line
This single Vileda retractable washing line product also has an automatic retraction mechanism.
This product comes with screws and rawl plugs for the instalment. It also comes with a resilient casing designed to endure harsh weather.
The line is also sturdy and durable. It costs somewhere in the range of £10 to £20, depending on where you buy it from.
- Has a tough weather-resistant casing.
- Comes with a sturdy and durable line.
- Relatively cheap.
- Features an automatic retraction mechanism.
- The line can sag if extended to the full 15 metres.
- You only have one line with this product. If it breaks, you'll have no additional line(s).
Minky Retractable Reel Washing Line
Like the Dryzem Dual Retractable Washing Line, this Minky retractable washing line has two 15 metre lines.
It offers a compact design which is perfect for interior or exterior spaces with minimal room.
You can either hang one line or both simultaneously.
The lines are metallic and have a PVC coating which makes them sturdy and less likely to stretch.
It also has automatic retraction lines. The extension bracket may be fastened to any surface type, and it can easily be detached.
It can effortlessly and neatly be stowed away. The casing is also UV resistant.
This product also comes with rawl plugs and screws so that it can easily be installed. The Minky Retractable Reel Washing Line costs around £16 to £19.
- Also has an automatic retraction mechanism.
- The lines are sturdy and unlikely to stretch.
- You can use either line or both.
- Ideal for small spaces, whether inside or outdoors.
- More expensive than most single retractable washing lines.
- Risk of sagging when fully extended.
Brabantia Indoor Retractable Washing Line
This five line product consists of 4.4 metre long lines.
It features an automatic line locking mechanism and is made from materials designed to resist corrosion, thus is suitable for bathroom use.
The instructions for its setup are easy to follow, making for a smooth installation.
This product also comes with a five year guarantee from a reputable manufacturer.
You can buy this retractable washing line for about £20.
- Easily installed.
- Features an automatic line locking mechanism.
- Comes with a five year guarantee.
- The spacing of the lines is substantial enough to allow good airflow for the laundry on each line.
- Over time, the lines can deteriorate at different rates meaning that some lines will remain stronger than others as the years progress.
- You must buy and use hollow wall anchors if you are installing this product to a cavity wall.
- Not suitable for the outdoors.
Vileda Rewind 4 Retractable Washing Line Airer
This product is an example of a quadruple retractable washing line. Each line can extend up to a length of four metres.
It comes with the necessary screws and brackets for a quick and simple installation.
This four line product is designed for indoor use. It is made of plastic and weighs just 440g.
However, it lacks the carrying capacity offered by products like the Vileda 15m Cordomatic Retractable Washing Line and the Dryzem Dual Retractable Washing Line.
You can buy this product for roughly £12 to £16.
- Easy to open and close.
- Comes with screws and brackets for an easy installation.
- A secondary hanging support option comes with this product.
- Does not have the greatest carrying capacity.
Brabantia WallFix Retractable Washing Line with Fabric Cover
This product is another popular choice and especially so as it can be mounted to a garden wall or interior wall.
It is ideal for anyone with minimal indoor or/and outdoor space.
This product is particularly expensive, however.
It has an inverted pyramid shape with lines connecting each of its three arms.
These arms can be folded so that it can be stored away when not in use.
The lines are taut to the extent that they can carry wet clothes without a significant risk of sagging.
Each line comes pre-strung. This product also comes with a water-resistant bag for storage purposes.
This product will likely set you back somewhere in the range of £90 to £125.
- Ideal for small spaces.
- Easily folds up so that it can be stored away when not in use.
- Little to no risk of sagging.
- Can be fixed to a wall.
- Particularly expensive.
- Does not have a substantial carrying capacity.
Hills Extenda 6 Heavy Duty Retractable Washing Line
The lines of this six line product have a length of up to 6.5 metres each with a minimal line extension length of four metres.
This means the product has up to 39 metres of space to dry laundry in total, more than any of the other products reviewed in this section.
The casing is sturdy and corrosion-resistant with a powder coating. The tension of each line is designed to prevent any sagging.
It is also quite costly, however. This product comes with an average price tag of around £120 to £130.
- Features a sturdy and corrosion-resistant casing.
- Excellent carrying capacity.
- Does not sag.
- Highly durable.
- This product has a total space of 39 metres.
- Particularly expensive.
- It's possible that you'll have to buy some additional heavy-duty wall anchors for this product although it will depend on the walls you have.
- Quite heavy to carry.
- You'll need to buy an extra kit to fit it between a post and wall.
- The product's tensioning handle is made of relatively poor plastic.
Cost to Install Retractable Washing Line
For this section, we will break down the cost of having a new retractable washing line installed.
You can expect to pay somewhere in the range of £20 to £30 to have a retractable washing line installed, assuming that a handyman charges for one hour of work.
Some traders will price their work with a two hour flat rate in which case; the cost will come to about £40 to £60.
Benefits of a Retractable Washing Line
We will now lay out the benefits of a retractable washing line in more detail.
A retractable washing line can save you money when it comes to drying. With fresh air and sunlight if outside or indoor air for internal use, you can dry your laundry cost-free.
This will save you on your energy bills as it means less, or no items being washed in a dryer.
It will save you approximately 35p per load of laundry.
Another benefit of retractable washing lines is that water dripping from the laundry can be used to provide plants with moisture.
This way you can water your plants without using up additional water (which will also save a little on your water bills) and you will avoid water pouring onto the ground, either creating a slippery surface indoors or doing the same and risking the creation of mud and dirt on a surface such as a patio if set up outside.
Set Up and Storage
A retractable washing line is also portable. It can easily be set up and taken apart for storage when not in use.
An automatic retraction mechanism can also make it easier to wound back into the casing.
Some products also offer a motorised retraction mechanism.
Q: How can you stop a retractable washing line from sagging?
A: One approach to this is to use a prop such a fallen tree limb or long wooden piece to hold up the line at a given point.
You may even choose to use two props at two different points.
Q: What do you attach a retractable washing line to?
A: You could attach the casing of the retractable washing line to a wall, fence or pole for example.
You can attach the other end of the line to another surface with hooks.
Q: How much can I save with a retractable washing line?
A: It will save you around £0.35 per load of laundry.
Q: What is the best retractable washing line?
A: The Hills Extenda 6 Heavy Duty Retractable Washing Line is one of the best products out there.
However, it is quite expensive. Further, there are plenty more options to choose from.
Each product has its own pros and cons, and which one will work best for you will depend on what you're looking for.
Q: What is an automatic retraction mechanism?
A: In the context of a retractable washing line, this is a mechanism that automatically rolls the line(s) back into its casing, meaning that you won't need to wind it back into the casing by hand.